June 24, 2012

Back to reality...for the kids

I love summer. I hate that I am cooped up all day and not able to be out enjoying various things around town with the kids. But, they've been happy this summer in that they haven't had to go to daycare (yet) and they got to to go the beach.


We got lucky in that one of my friends' daughters was interested in making some extra money this summer and has babysitting experience. So, for 3 of the 4 weeks of summer break so far, the boys have been able to stay home and be at the house during the day rather than having to spend the day at daycare while John and I work. It works out great since my office is less than 5 minutes from the house and John works from home, so he's in and out of the house all day. Makes them a little more careful of how they act, since he could walk in the door at any time without them knowing he is on his way. :o)


Things are about to change.


The next two weeks, the boys will go to daycare and they are not happy about it at all. But, we didn't want to make the sitter give up her entire summer to being at our house with the kids so that she didn't have any time to enjoy her summer break without "working." My checkbook will hate me for it, but it's a necessary evil since child #1 is not old enough to stay home alone yet, even though he thinks he is.


I'm also lucky in that the daycare the boys are enrolled in and have been at for about 6 years now does a "pay by the week" program for the school age kids over the summer, so I'm only responsible for paying for the weeks that they spend time there. This is what allowed us to create the schedule with the sitter to only watch the boys for part of the summer.


So, there's 6 weeks of summer break left and 4 of those will see the boys spending their days at daycare. I think it's safe to say that the boys won't be too happy with me for those 4 weeks since they'll need to get up and eat so they can be taken to daycare rather than being able to sleep until whenever they decide to wake up like they've been doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment